The Macmillan English Explorers are an eight-level series, supported by a four-level phonics scheme, suitable for children aged between 4 and 12.
Each Reader is illustrated in full colour and contains one complete story. The stories have been written using high-frequency words, plus story-specific words which as far as possible are clarified by illustrations.
Written specifically for young learners of English, this scheme has been informed by teaching methodology for first-language speakers of English. The Readers plus supplementary materials can be used alongside any primary course.
- The rich variety of texts, from original fiction to legends, means any child can enjoy reading, wherever their interests lie
- The comprehension Workbooks develop a range of reading skills while the Phonics Workbooks support the systematic teaching of phonics
- Word-recognition skills are reinforced by the Workbooks and word cards in the Teacher’s Notes
- Cross-curricular content at higher levels means children can make links to other school subjects
- The stories promote social values such as friendship and respect
- Teacher’s Notes are available for free from the Macmillan Young Learners website. They include page-by-page lesson notes and ‘Comprehension Extra’ activities
- The accompanying audio is downloadable for free from the website and gives children the opportunity to listen to the stories while they read the books